A Next Steps of South Carolina (NSSC) Next Step Program (NSP) Affiliate is a 100% Volunteer-run ministry. Volunteers are the glue that holds the NSP together. Without Volunteers, the NSP would not exist. NSSC trains Volunteers from different churches in your community to achieve together what they cannot achieve separately.
Concern for our neighbors and helping them improve their lives emotionally, physically, and spiritually is at the heart of our mission.
NSSC trains a community’s Volunteers in two separate sessions. When you have completed these two sessions, you are ready to serve as a Volunteer in your community’s Next Step Program Affiliate or in a NSP operated in one of your community's nonprofit organizations.
- Training Session I takes 2.5 hours and generally is done in a classroom setting (with wireless Internet) in a local church or nonprofit organization. We introduce prospective Volunteers to the entire NSSC Next Step Program and help them select the Volunteer position best suited for them and most needed by their Affiliate.
- Training Session II takes 3.0 hours and is done with one trainer and from one to four students in a classroom setting (with wireless Internet) in a local church or nonprofit organization. It thoroughly familiarizes the Volunteers with the unique aspects of their preferred Volunteer position.
There are several different Volunteer positions available in a Next Step Program. The top three include:
Database Management Team: Input data and generate reports, using either the Charity Tracker Plus or another database, to help the Affiliate operate smoothly.
Lazarus Mentor Team: Use the 2-1-1 Hotline Database to locate employment and social service organizations for Program Participants to visit in order to make positive changes in their lives.
Samaritan Mentor Team: Listen to Program Participants and help them make positive changes in their lives—one conversation at a time, one prayer at a time, and one step at a time.
We have videos that give you a glimpse of some of the roles played by Volunteers. You can access them under “videos” on the panel to the left on www.NextStepsSC.org. These include the:
- Samaritan Mentor Team,
- Lazarus Mentor Team,
- Communication & Outreach Team,
- Database Management Team, and
- Volunteer Recruitment & Development Team.